1863 c/o Dominic Leonard








the eyes are not the mirror
of the soul      look 
into my interminable
     mouth if you want to learn 
something about dirt
        I was smug as a puddle
    having learnt all the elements
& how to fly a kite       
              & why would I
have put back on my hazardous
blue dress when I could
be as cold as a fisherman
awkward as an ankle 
     when I could show off my
glamorous toes & kneecaps
           not me I’ll spit out
the disgrace & drink it
back       fuck it’s hard being
nice all the time      but it is
good to fly a kite 
        it is good to lie down
where the ground has come
      through & feel it
   closely        to become so
many flowers felt
   down the spine    whisper
to the men on either side
of me until they
     believe       if my name 
were not a noun it would be 
    a beautiful verb